• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - When A New Studio Takes Over Your Favorite Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamiChan19

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:49 am Reply with quote
SaneSavantElla wrote:

That said, it's too early to tell whether WIT will really do a "better" job at animating Bookworm. Ajia-do's work on the three seasons is charming and gorgeous in its own way, albeit going for a more subdued and what my friend calls "kiddie-anime style" than what we are used to these days. But I'm of course, hoping for the best!

I've also been thinking about WIT handling the 4th season of Bookworm. Admittedly while season 1 was airing and I tried to watch it, I was initially turned off by the art & animation.

But years later after buying the blu-rays (and having quit seasonal anime podcasting), I learned to love Ajia-do's unique charm. There is absolutely heart put into the production, and across three seasons it got better and better -- a triumph much like the accomplishments of it's bookish heroine! Smile

I will be heartbroken if WIT abandons the chibi cut-away segments.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:57 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to OPM's second season, the main issue I had wasn't with the animation so much as the direction. To me, OPM is always at its best as a gag manga -- though I know some people disagree (including Murata, it seems). It's all about that build-up to a funny joke... and the payoff. Pacing, timing, framing, etc. are all crucial for the timing to work. And that just... wasn't really working for me in the second season, so nothing really worked for me.

Given how rough ONE's original webcomic is, I think it's safe to say that One Punch Man's story can survive a presentational quality of any level. The second season could've worked with still black-and-white pencil sketches and no animation at all, I think, provided the pacing, timing and voice acting were all on point. Which, of course, was not the case.

tintor2 wrote:
Full Metal Panic has to be the biggest víctim ever. Three studios but no completition. They delayed Invisible Victory a Lot and despite any issue with the animation, nobody wants to anímate the few missing novels.

Cramming three novels worth of material into 12 episodes isn't something that could've worked well with any studio, I think. That's kind of become the normal format thanks to the various Narou adaptations, but it only really works there (when It works) if the material has a lot of redundant or uninteresting fluff that can be cut with little or no consequence. (Which is very often the case with material from amauteur writers who have not been afforded adequate editing processes.)

But FMP is a really fascinating property to look at here. Not just because of the three different studios, but also for just how... wildly different each of the four series are from each other in terms of tone and style. And the two series that are most different from each other are also the only two handled by the same studio, KyoAni, IIRC.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 11:29 am Reply with quote
OPM S1 despite being good but still wasn't that perfect and even there was more than it production-wise especially for its time , the irony that S2 was still better than other anime that aired later on that struggled more.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I no longer notice the photo backgrounds in YuruCamp much. But that's not a strength of its direction - I simply hyperfocus into the characters to the point I don't notice the backgrounds, and zone out/look away when they're doing landscape shots. I'm not even doing it consciously, I just want to keep enjoying YuruCmap very bad.
Even if it didn't ruin the whole production, even if it was an "artistic decision" instead of a cost-cutting method, there's no excusing that background and compositing work. It's plain bad and should have never happened under any studio.

... regardless I'm glad it wasn't a One Punch Man case. The whole point of Murata's version was to look more impressive, so if an adaptation can't manage to at least have better animation than the manga, it's already pointless and irrelevant. It had no saving grace. I don't know about directing or pacing since I dropped it after one episode, I'm not the biggest OPM fan anyway (ended up dropping the manga after Murata went and redrew a whole arc to make fights cooler and more dragged out... maybe I should try the original some day, Mob Psycho was very good).
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 6:25 am Reply with quote
I still have a bone to pick with many One Punch Man fans. I didn't like S1 nor S2, so I have little incentive to defend it, but S2 could have turned out far worse. Whenever I hear people act like OPM S2 is one of the worst anime of all time in terms of animation quality, it shows massive ignorance (How much anime have you even seen, and from what time periods?). Watch say all 26 episodes of .hack//Roots, then get back to me. The amount of panning and still shots that had, meanwhile One Punch Man S2's animation while inconsistent still turned out okay. Nowhere near the standards of S1, but still okay and better than many other older digipaint anime.
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=one-punch_man_2+order%3Ascore

One of its main issues was its poor scheduling, but again, it could have turned out far worse. It could have turned out like say, the broadcast version of Wizard Barristers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmBnaEcbfA

Or this mess for The iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls. Fun fact, it was never intended to be split-cour, it only became that way because of its production meltdown, leading to Bamco having to purchase additional timeslots and to reair the original The iDOLM@STER to give time for A-1 Pictures to catch up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQkeHwYKOAk

Season 3 if it has a much better prouction schedule should be mostly fine. It also will have Kenichiro Aoki back, the man who really helped hold S2 together as much as possible.
lemurs wrote:
Date A Live could also using a topical mention, with a new season airing now and all. It's another show that had to get through a rough patch at J.C. Staff before bouncing back with stronger productions since.
That would require people to be watching it. Nobody covered Date A Live V in the preview guide. There's been so little coverage on the series here after S2 (Theron Martin being the sole person to cover S3 and S4 for the Preview Guides, then this article from 2021), which is just such a shame given what it's doing right now. It's not a series one should judge by its cover. It didn't become one of the highest-rated shows of Spring 2024 on say MAL out of nowhere.

At this point, I actually prefer how S4 and S5 look compared to the prior seasons, despite the CGI at times. The character designs by Naoto Nakamura I feel match the original light novel illustrations by Tsunako best, especially with the eyes. I liked what S1-S3 did, as well as Mayuri Judgement, but I like what S4-S5 has done far more at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pip25

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:00 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
I still have a bone to pick with many One Punch Man fans. I didn't like S1 nor S2, so I have little incentive to defend it, but S2 could have turned out far worse. Whenever I hear people act like OPM S2 is one of the worst anime of all time in terms of animation quality, it shows massive ignorance

There will always be fans who, in their disappointment, go overboard with criticism. It's almost par for the course at this point, and I don't think much can be done about it except taking such statements with a grain of salt.

That said, I don't think "could have been far worse" is saying much about the end result either. There is almost always something that's worse, but that hardly means it's good. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have higher standards. And what should serve as a reference point for a second season of a series, if anything, but the first? One can hardly blame people for making that comparison.

Honestly, I don't even think OPM season 2 was objectively horrible. As I wrote above, I found it somewhat okay, if unremarkable. But compared to what came before it? Yeah, it sucked. Badly.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:19 pm Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:
I still have a bone to pick with many One Punch Man fans. I didn't like S1 nor S2, so I have little incentive to defend it, but S2 could have turned out far worse. Whenever I hear people act like OPM S2 is one of the worst anime of all time in terms of animation quality, it shows massive ignorance

There will always be fans who, in their disappointment, go overboard with criticism. It's almost par for the course at this point, and I don't think much can be done about it except taking such statements with a grain of salt.

That said, I don't think "could have been far worse" is saying much about the end result either. There is almost always something that's worse, but that hardly means it's good. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have higher standards. And what should serve as a reference point for a second season of a series, if anything, but the first? One can hardly blame people for making that comparison.

Honestly, I don't even think OPM season 2 was objectively horrible. As I wrote above, I found it somewhat okay, if unremarkable. But compared to what came before it? Yeah, it sucked. Badly.

>And what should serve as a reference point for a second season of a series, if anything, but the first? One can hardly blame people for making that comparison.

by just not comparing both seasons which i know it's hard but it's the only option because both were in different situations and circumstances and more than to be understood.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:33 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
I still have a bone to pick with many One Punch Man fans. I didn't like S1 nor S2, so I have little incentive to defend it, but S2 could have turned out far worse. Whenever I hear people act like OPM S2 is one of the worst anime of all time in terms of animation quality, it shows massive ignorance (How much anime have you even seen, and from what time periods?). Watch say all 26 episodes of .hack//Roots, then get back to me. The amount of panning and still shots that had, meanwhile One Punch Man S2's animation while inconsistent still turned out okay. Nowhere near the standards of S1, but still okay and better than many other older digipaint anime.
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=one-punch_man_2+order%3Ascore

One of its main issues was its poor scheduling, but again, it could have turned out far worse. It could have turned out like say, the broadcast version of Wizard Barristers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmBnaEcbfA

Or this mess for The iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls. Fun fact, it was never intended to be split-cour, it only became that way because of its production meltdown, leading to Bamco having to purchase additional timeslots and to reair the original The iDOLM@STER to give time for A-1 Pictures to catch up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQkeHwYKOAk

Season 3 if it has a much better prouction schedule should be mostly fine. It also will have Kenichiro Aoki back, the man who really helped hold S2 together as much as possible.
lemurs wrote:
Date A Live could also using a topical mention, with a new season airing now and all. It's another show that had to get through a rough patch at J.C. Staff before bouncing back with stronger productions since.
That would require people to be watching it. Nobody covered Date A Live V in the preview guide. There's been so little coverage on the series here after S2 (Theron Martin being the sole person to cover S3 and S4 for the Preview Guides, then this article from 2021), which is just such a shame given what it's doing right now. It's not a series one should judge by its cover. It didn't become one of the highest-rated shows of Spring 2024 on say MAL out of nowhere.

At this point, I actually prefer how S4 and S5 look compared to the prior seasons, despite the CGI at times. The character designs by Naoto Nakamura I feel match the original light novel illustrations by Tsunako best, especially with the eyes. I liked what S1-S3 did, as well as Mayuri Judgement, but I like what S4-S5 has done far more at this point.

>Nowhere near the standards of S1, but still okay and better than many other older digipaint anime.

i don't think it's fair to say that for older anime still since some might have really bad behind the scenes about them we don't know about and producer being clingy and hard to deal with can be demanding more than you the one

while OPM S2 despite not having any of those i suppose but it did started its production later than it was announced back in summer 2016 as most would think because it started in fall 2018 because the same staff were doing working on other things before it like food wars , million arthur and also planet with which they gathered some of their in-house CG animators along with the CG Studio Moe's main CG director.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Todd_Harry08 wrote:
by just not comparing both seasons which i know it's hard but it's the only option because both were in different situations and circumstances and more than to be understood.

There's another option: decrying it for being so inferior. It is not the audience's job to research the production and cloy the suits involved, there's no need for the velvet glove.
It's not like there's a rivetting story here that will leave anyone in suspense if no more seasons are produced. There's no point to an adaptation that can't capitalize on any of the source's strong points, specially when the opposite has been already achieved before for the same source.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:48 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Todd_Harry08 wrote:

There's another option: decrying it for being so inferior. It is not the audience's job to research the production and cloy the suits involved, there's no need for the velvet glove.
It's not like there's a rivetting story here that will leave anyone in suspense if no more seasons are produced. There's no point to an adaptation that can't capitalize on any of the source's strong points, specially when the opposite has been already achieved before for the same source.

your option is just being salty , nitpicky and complaining for a silly reason while you could have take it easy.
pip25

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Todd_Harry08 wrote:
your option is just being salty , nitpicky and complaining for a silly reason while you could have take it easy.

You are more than welcome to enjoy any series in any form. If you like it despite its faults, more power to you. But enjoyment can't be forced, and if someone doesn't like something, they are allowed to voice their opinion just like those that enjoyed it are allowed to voice theirs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2