• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Anatomy of an Anime Waifu

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:50 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Who was the very first Waifu? The original Waifu.

Lum?

lol I don't know. I'm not familiar with stuff pre-2000s, but she was the first character to pop in my head.
You've been a member since 06, and back then Anime took longer to come get released overseas, did you not start off watching 90s Anime?

Whatever was on Toonami, Adult Swim, Kids WB, and Fox Kids. And that was technically very late 90s and mostly 2000s. I never branched out from what was on TV till like mid-2000s.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 7:13 pm Reply with quote
My #1 anime/manga waifu is Lucy Heartfilia ("Fairy Tail"). I also quite the NaLu fan.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:16 pm Reply with quote
As the article is quick to point out, I feel more attraction to my waifus when they are more than just a pretty face/body. I have to like their personalities or something else about them.

Yor is a perfect example, my favorite waifu in Spy X Family, a series with a good bunch of them. She's gorgeous but also clumsy at home and super skilled when it comes to assassinations.

And with Frieren, it amused me that everyone and their mother was losing it for Übel but I was all about the titular character. Give me more of those beautiful eyes and aloofness any time of the day.

Anyway, waifu wars are as varied as shipping wars. There are as many combinations and types of them as people watching the shows.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 10:05 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
And with Frieren, it amused me that everyone and their mother was losing it for Übel but I was all about the titular character. Give me more of those beautiful eyes and aloofness any time of the day.

I have also been amused by how strongly Übel has come onto that scene in the last month or so (since, personality-wise, she's anything but an ideal), but I can understand the appeal. Was always impressed with how the series could portray her with a mischievous smile that carried just a hint of danger without twisting into caricature. Dearly hope to see someone cosplay her at Anime Central this coming weekend.

But if you're including male characters in the waifu category, then the ultimate waifu from Frieren is unquestionably Himmel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 10:54 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Does a waifu have to be from an anime?

What about Blondie Bumstead nee Boopadoop from the comic strip Blondie?

Olive Oyl from the comic strip Thimble Theatre aka Popeye
(Olive actually predates Popeye)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Does a waifu have to be from an anime?

What about Blondie Bumstead nee Boopadoop from the comic strip Blondie?

Olive Oyl from the comic strip Thimble Theatre aka Popeye
(Olive actually predates Popeye)
Maybe the original waifu, was pre-code Betty Boop.
MartinWisse

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And I wouldn't say I'm an expert, by any means, on any era, but I have watched a fair bit of anime from the 70s, 80s and 90s... and there aren't many female characters that seem to have dominated the cultural zeitgeist quite as much as Lum, prior to Lum.

Lum was so popular for so long that even though Urusay Yatsura never really got a release in the West at the time, she was still omnipresent in wider fandom; she was all over the Diamond Comics Previews merchandise section all through the eighties frex.

You could certainly make a case for her being the first real waifu not just because of that popularity but especially because of the context in which she became popular. The heroine of an romcom series that everybody in Japan watched, at a time when otakudom had first firmly established itself, who had the sort of relationship with the protagonist that made it easier for you to insert yourself into. If Ataru doesn't appreciate her, I will, that sort of thing.

Somewhat similar to Rem in fact, also somebody rejected by the protagonist and therefore "up for grabs".
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The whole "waifu" thing has never done much for me. I've liked many female characters during my time as an anime fan, but I've never really felt that sort of personal attachment to them. Plus the term has these connotations of, well, I guess "possessiveness" for lack of a better word that I find kind of creepy. The closest character that comes to mind is Holo from Spice and Wolf: she's intelligent, witty, and incredibly self-assured, all traits I find inherently attractive. Most of the time my tastes lie with female characters who can, as the meme so glibly puts it, "actually just kill me." Y'know, the type who, if you called them "my waifu," would smile at you, rip out your skull, and then serve you breakfast in it. Laughing

All of that aside, did the columnists really just cite a Yu Yu Hakusho character that wasn't Uncontested Absolute Best Girl Botan? For shame!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I have tended to be a bit more literal in interpreting and reserving the title "waifu" for a female character well suited to be the wife of the protagonist, especially, if I relate to the protag, as in "if I were the protag, I would marry them" and not just the most charming/likable/attractive character in a particular show. Thus, Winry in FMA or Misaki in NHK would be my picks as example.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm far from the type to take "waifuism" seriously, but if there's a female character I particularly like in an affectionate sort of way, they're getting the "waifu" designation. Oddly enough, every character I've "waifu'd" thus far falls into one of two categories/occupations: dominatrix (Itsue Aasu, Midnight) or food service (Amil Manaflare, Sumika Tachibana).
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The whole "waifu" thing has never done much for me. I've liked many female characters during my time as an anime fan, but I've never really felt that sort of personal attachment to them. Plus the term has these connotations of, well, I guess "possessiveness" for lack of a better word that I find kind of creepy. The closest character that comes to mind is Holo from Spice and Wolf: she's intelligent, witty, and incredibly self-assured, all traits I find inherently attractive. Most of the time my tastes lie with female characters who can, as the meme so glibly puts it, "actually just kill me." Y'know, the type who, if you called them "my waifu," would smile at you, rip out your skull, and then serve you breakfast in it. Laughing

A friend once told me, paraphrased, "I don't like the idea of waifus. It sounds like it objectifies women and strips their character down to nothing." and at a later date, said "I just want Major Kusanagi to tackle me and twist me like a pretzel." and my response was, "I'm sorry to break it to you, but that's called a 'waifu'." I see the "waifu" thing as a silly pop culture phenomenon where people explore their fantasies, interests, and desires healthily through fiction instead of with real people, many of whom don't want to be sexualized. You could maybe argue that the fictional behavior reinforces the real-life behavior, but I feel most people who already understand the difference are fine, and most people who don't are not going to change their behavior anyway. Enjoy what you want.
Zoltan Kakler

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
A friend once told me, paraphrased, "I don't like the idea of waifus. It sounds like it objectifies women and strips their character down to nothing." and at a later date, said "I just want Major Kusanagi to tackle me and twist me like a pretzel." and my response was, "I'm sorry to break it to you, but that's called a 'waifu'." I see the "waifu" thing as a silly pop culture phenomenon where people explore their fantasies, interests, and desires healthily through fiction instead of with real people, many of whom don't want to be sexualized. You could maybe argue that the fictional behavior reinforces the real-life behavior, but I feel most people who already understand the difference are fine, and most people who don't are not going to change their behavior anyway. Enjoy what you want.

That's what happens when people over drink their "respect women juice". People get so afraid of how they might be perceived they try to hide away and deny basic human instincts and desires. Some people need to learn it's perfectly okay to be attracted to women. And not just the socially acceptable ones like tall girls or muscle girls either that people always give as safe answers. Feel free to be attracted to big bosoms, petite figures, and all kinds of things. I think people would be happier if they were more honest with themselves.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 5:41 pm Reply with quote
The term "my bishie, not yours" predates "mai waifu". Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2