• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Announces Toonami Rewind Block With Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z Kai, Naruto Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad more people will get to experience the Viz Sailor Moon dub.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:11 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Why am I suddenly seeing people starting to complaining about the dic/cloverway dub of Sailor moon not going to be on Toonami rewind?

I was being sarcastic, I didn't expect people to actually come out of the woodwork for it!
TsarPlatinum

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:37 pm Reply with quote
CardcaptorTakato wrote:
I have a lot of nostalgia for the 90s Sailor Moon dub but I don’t understand the fans who think a version that changed all the music and names and made Sailor Uranus and Neptune cousins is better than an actual uncut and faithful dub but that’s just me.

Because the DIC dub is more iconic and what most Sailor Moon fans in America know and prefer. I bet if this was Pokemon or Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh or Ghost Stories y'all wouldn't be using the changes as a reason it should be forgotten.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:43 pm Reply with quote
TsarPlatinum wrote:

Because the DIC dub is more iconic and what most Sailor Moon fans in America know and prefer. I bet if this was Pokemon or Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh or Ghost Stories y'all wouldn't be using the changes as a reason it should be forgotten.
Good thing no one was saying this.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 12:08 am Reply with quote
I almost wish this was a Friday Late Night block to really hit home with the nostalgia.
Then they could at least go all in with the classics and less censored versions of things like Outlaw Star / Witch Hunter Robin / Big O / Wolf's Rain / Yu Yu Hakusho etc...

Though i can understand not wanting to blow all your graces on shorter shows right away i still feel having all long running series at the start probably isn't for the best.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 12:55 am Reply with quote
TsarPlatinum wrote:
CardcaptorTakato wrote:
I have a lot of nostalgia for the 90s Sailor Moon dub but I don’t understand the fans who think a version that changed all the music and names and made Sailor Uranus and Neptune cousins is better than an actual uncut and faithful dub but that’s just me.

Because the DIC dub is more iconic and what most Sailor Moon fans in America know and prefer.

Preferences go for both dubs, not just the DIC/Cloverway ones. And don't forget the fans who prefer to watch the series subbed.

Edit to add: A shame this won't be coming to Canada. Our Adult Swim channel doesn't have Toonami, and neither does our current CN channel.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 3:21 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
TsarPlatinum wrote:

Personally, I would like for them to air every 4kids, nelvana, and Saban dubbed anime on the block if it becomes successful.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 6:20 am Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
TsarPlatinum wrote:

Personally, I would like for them to air every 4kids, nelvana, and Saban dubbed anime on the block if it becomes successful.

But they can’t. This is non-negotiable.
The materials for DIC Sailor Moon flat out no longer exist. Toonami is not going to spend the money to try and track down an edited version of a TV show that’s non-existent, or if it does exist, is degraded to a point that’s unacceptable for HD broadcast in 2024. Also, considering the tight leash Takeuchi’s company has on the series, I doubt anyone would even be allowed to use anything other than the uncut version. Plus, airing the uncut version of SM is far cheaper than the wild goose chase of contacting Andy Heyward or Roland Parliament to track down what happened to those DIC recordings and edited tapes.

(On another note, I’m stuck in the UK where our licensing companies refuse to touch SM with a ten foot barge pole, and Cartoon Network UK/Europe flat out do not care for anime.)

Cardcaptors (the Nelvana dub) is also a no go. CCS got retroactively dubbed so it’s uncut and, well, good. Why would anyone want to watch the butchered version - where they made the assumption boys wouldn’t tune in unless the story was more about Syaoran - besides nostalgia?

The only way you’ll see old school DIC and Nelvana anime dubs is through piracy. They’re never coming back to television, even if this era of Toonami is successful.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 7:55 am Reply with quote
2000s nostalgia is peaking on Adult Swim and I thinking they need to air a bunch of 4kids, nelvana, and Saban dubs in order for the block to be the most talked-about block on television history.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 9:06 am Reply with quote
TsarPlatinum wrote:
CardcaptorTakato wrote:

Too bad because I WOULD be saying the Ghost Stories dub's changes are a reason it should be forgotten.

Say what you want about the Sailor Moon DiC dub at least the licensors didn't go "Oh this show flopped in Japan, which is a lie btw, We can do whatever we want with it!"
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 9:22 am Reply with quote
Vee-Tee wrote:
But they can’t. This is non-negotiable.
The materials for DIC Sailor Moon flat out no longer exist. Toonami is not going to spend the money to try and track down an edited version of a TV show that’s non-existent, or if it does exist, is degraded to a point that’s unacceptable for HD broadcast in 2024. Also, considering the tight leash Takeuchi’s company has on the series, I doubt anyone would even be allowed to use anything other than the uncut version. Plus, airing the uncut version of SM is far cheaper than the wild goose chase of contacting Andy Heyward or Roland Parliament to track down what happened to those DIC recordings and edited tapes.

There's a good chance Cartoon Network has those tapes still because they were the reason Discotek was able to track down the Ronin Warriors TV dub in 2019 for their Blu-ray release from 2021.

Regardless, it sounds like Takeuchi wants nothing to do with the old dub (source) and since everything involving Sailor Moon needs her approval, it's unfortunately never coming back legally.

Quote:
(On another note, I’m stuck in the UK where our licensing companies refuse to touch SM with a ten foot barge pole, and Cartoon Network UK/Europe flat out do not care for anime.)

Supposedly it almost killed MVM back in the day and other UK company reps know about that. Back when Jerome Mazandarani was working at Manga UK, he didn't speak well of Sailor Moon when responding to license requests for it on Twitter years ago.

Quote:
Cardcaptors (the Nelvana dub) is also a no go. CCS got retroactively dubbed so it’s uncut and, well, good. Why would anyone want to watch the butchered version - where they made the assumption boys wouldn’t tune in unless the story was more about Syaoran - besides nostalgia?

While the Animax dub's quality is up for debate (I didn't mind it, my issue was more with NIS America's newly-translated subs), the Nelvana dub is definitely never coming back because according to Justin Sevakis, "CLAMP hates it" and I'm pretty certain that was the main reason why when Madman got the show back in Australia, it was released subtitled-only.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
TsarPlatinum wrote:
I bet if this was Pokemon or Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh or Ghost Stories y'all wouldn't be using the changes as a reason it should be forgotten.

Considering how bad the voice acting and edits in Yu-Gi-Oh were we could (& should) forget about them.

mgree0032 wrote:
2000s nostalgia is peaking on Adult Swim and I thinking they need to air a bunch of 4kids, nelvana, and Saban dubs in order for the block to be the most talked-about block on television history.

If they’re going to be airing the original English dubs of this stuff it would be talked about but not in the positive.

There’s also the fact that given this stuff would air in the dead of night as opposed to afternoon/primetime hours like it used to. It’ll be talked about just as highly as Toonami has been talked about since returning which is to say not all that much.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 10:22 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TsarPlatinum wrote:
I bet if this was Pokemon or Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh or Ghost Stories y'all wouldn't be using the changes as a reason it should be forgotten.

Considering how bad the voice acting and edits in Yu-Gi-Oh were we could (& should) forget about them.
People still love the Yugioh dub because of the Little Kuriboh. The dub of Yugioh didn’t have bad voice acting at all and it fits the atmosphere of the show better than the Japanese version.

mgree0032 wrote:

BadNewsBlues wrote:
If they’re going to be airing the original English dubs of this stuff it would be talked about but not in the positive.

There’s also the fact that given this stuff would air in the dead of night as opposed to afternoon/primetime hours like it used to. It’ll be talked about just as highly as Toonami has been talked about since returning which is to say not all that much.
Well if Disney X-D showed edited dubs, so can Toonami rewind!
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 10:39 am Reply with quote
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
TsarPlatinum wrote:
CardcaptorTakato wrote:

Too bad because I WOULD be saying the Ghost Stories dub's changes are a reason it should be forgotten.

Say what you want about the Sailor Moon DiC dub at least the licensors didn't go "Oh this show flopped in Japan, which is a lie btw, We can do whatever we want with it!"

Yeah I'm not a Steven Foster fan either. I've not heard good things about the Mawaru Penguin-Drum dub. Sad

NJ_ wrote:
Supposedly it almost killed MVM back in the day and other UK company reps know about that. Back when Jerome Mazandarani was working at Manga UK, he didn't speak well of Sailor Moon when responding to license requests for it on Twitter years ago.

Oh absolutely. I've heard someone floated the question to them at Comic Con years ago but got a bit of a non-response. It's a shame though, because my friends who work at HMV and Waterstones (the major places to get DVD/Blu-Ray and books respectively) tell me that the Sailor Moon merch and manga they carry does actually sell. I understand MVM and other anime licensors being sore about the property in the early 2000s when they could barely convince Fox Kids to air more than the first two seasons, then wound up putting 20 episodes on repeat on at 6am on a terrestrial TV channel's early morning kids block before the news... But not now that SM has a new dub, surely, and it's all uncut.

I bring this up as someone now in their thirties who was one of the few kids who watched and loved Sailor Moon on Fox Kids. Maybe I'm part of a tiny minority (my parents got a Sky satellite dish super early on), but I'm sure there's still people who want to own the anime physically who might even pony up money for the giant 200 episodes all in one box-set, like they have in Australia...

Knowing my luck they'll announce SM being acquired at MCM at the end of May. One can dream! Laughing

NJ_ wrote:
There's a good chance Cartoon Network has those tapes still because they were the reason Discotek was able to track down the Ronin Warriors TV dub in 2019 for their Blu-ray release from 2021.

Hopefully!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 12:32 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
People still love the Yugioh dub because of the Little Kuriboh.

People still love the One Piece 4Kids dub because of the rap doesn’t mean it’s good.

mgree0032 wrote:
The dub of Yugioh didn’t have bad voice acting at all and it fits the atmosphere of the show better than the Japanese version.

When your voice actors are overacting or the characters have ill fitting voices also with random accents you can’t say can’t with a straight face say the acting isn’t bad.

I get that people like some of the old anime dubs that were prevalent uptil about the late 00’s but logically there is zero reason to air this stuff if you have the option of a better directed, better acted, and of course unedited version of this stuff.

mgree0032 wrote:
Well if Disney X-D showed edited dubs, so can Toonami rewind!

Except key difference is Disney X D never in it’s history aired unedited anime in addition to airing edited anime either on the same channel or on the same block.

Point was If you have the option to air the unedited version of something vs the edited version why would you air the latter especially on a block that’s supposed to consist entirely of unedited material?

It’s impractical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10